Re: [SLE] SMTP authentication
  • From: "Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC)" <hylton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 17:14:45 +0200
Greg Wallace wrote:

On Thursday, April 27, 2006 @ 9:33 AM, Hylton Conacher wrote:

<snip>

In my case, I use a 3rd party SMTP server, not my ISP's. That being the
case, the fist SMTP server to get involved with my email is this 3rd party
SMTP. There is no SMTP server before that. From your description, it
sounds like you have an SMTP server on your machine as well. If I use my
ISP SMTP server, that would be the first SMTP server that I hit. So, I
either use the 3rd party SMTP server or my ISP's SMTP server. There is no
SMTP server involved in the transmission to that point. Now after it leaves
that SMTP server and heads to the destination server, I take it that there
can be relays in between involving additional SMTP servers, at least that's
how I understand it.
I do not have a local SMTP serer yet...but watch this space :)

That explanation was better and also how I understand things.

Tnx for clarifying.

< Previous Next >