Re: [SLE] Changing hardware IRQ's
  • From: "Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC)" <hylton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 18:17:00 +0200
Per Jessen wrote:
Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) wrote:

I have a 9.2 system here where the network card(Realtek 8139) and the
on-board sound have the same IRQ.

[snip]

I would like to move the Ensonique on-board sound device to another
IRQ but do not know how. What is the 'correct' IRQ for sound devices?
I think it was 15 but I would prefer to leave te ide items alone.

Would moving eth0 to a different PCI slot help?

It's worth trying.

Well I am going to try messing in th BIOs first but after that....:)

On the PCI-bus, IRQs and other hardware resources are assigned by
Plug-and-Play. This is not always the case on the ISA-bus, which is
why the BIOS on systems with ISA-busses will let you reserve IRQs and
DMA ports for non-PnP ISA cards.
As to your soundcard and your network sharing an IRQ, it shouldn't
really be a problem.
I don't understand why it doesn't matter on Linux and yet it does in Windows, sorry. Its something about the hardware after all. Does it not mean that I cannot use the sound and the network at the same time as they both have the same IRQ to talk to the CPU?

< Previous Next >