Re: [SLE] Warning to Americans!(now going OT)
  • From: Kevanf1 <kevanf1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 20:05:12 +0100
On 01/05/06, Wendell Sexson <jwsthree@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
--- Kevanf1 <kevanf1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I just wonder what will happen when people cannot
> afford to go to work? We always think of the
> doctors and nurses, teachers etc as essential
> workers. But what about the lower paid
> shop assistants? If they can't afford to get to
> work then how does everybody else buy essential
> goods like food? This is a worldwide phenomenon.

While this will undoubtably cause considerable
diffuculty for a great number of people, I believe
that the answers are buses, trains, bicycles, and walking.

What about those of us who are disabled? What about the people who
have to travel distances like 60 miles there and back? I did in my
last job. Cycling is wonderful and so is public transport but it's
not alway practicable. Certainly not here in the UK where buses and
trains are simply not reliable. Unless employers make massive leeway
for people getting into work late because of public transport
deficiencies. Somehow I don't see that happening.

Kevan Farmer

Linux user #373362

Cheslyn Hay
Staffordshire