Re: [SLE] Re: GNOME vs KDE Redoux
  • From: George Stoianov <gstoyanoff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 08:45:48 -0400 (EDT)

--- Alexey Eremenko <al4321@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 5/1/06, Chuck Davis <cjgunzel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I don't believe a word of it. It will be a long
> time before I run
> > ANYTHING based on GNOME. Further, if Linux
> becomes a GNOME world I'd
> > just as soon run Vista -- I'm getting too old to
> fight anymore.
>
> Totally agreed. If there will be no KDE - I won't be
> running Linux on
> my home desktop.
> KDE is the only Linux'es choice before users run
> back to Windows.
>
> I cannot comment about code efficiency however,
> because I'm not a programmer.

I am a KDE fan and run it everyday for my daily
work,but I like GNOME too, I like the fact that I can
switch desktops just like that in SuSE. Another one I
like is Enlightenment, unfortunately SuSE does not
have DR17 which is really nice looking... anyway the
reason I am posting this is because I have been
following some of the K vs G debate and do not agree
with the things being said about Linux fragmentation
of effort and loss of focus....what is that all about
isn't Linux a symbol of "anyone can do anything" and
it eventually works better than the thing many highly
paid focused individuals produce????

I mean why should the effort be channeled in to one
single project so that it survives, so what....do not
get me wrong I know there are companies out there that
would love to squash open source and move on and
having focus has it's big benefits but I think if
there was only one of a thing I might as well run that
it is called "windows"...

Choice is the number one thing that keeps innovation
going and life interesting, if I had to look at the
same desktop everyday because the majority of people
like it and everyone really concentrated on making it
perfect I would really hate that... I want to do
things my way just because... :)

there I throwed it in the pot.
regards,
george