Re: [SLE] Re: GNOME vs KDE Redoux
  • From: jfweber@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 15:50:51 -0400
into electronic streams flowing thru the cosmos On Monday 01 May 2006
4:28 pm, Alexey Eremenko wrote:
> On 5/1/06, Chuck Davis <cjgunzel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I don't believe a word of it. It will be a long time before I run
> > ANYTHING based on GNOME. Further, if Linux becomes a GNOME world
> > I'd just as soon run Vista -- I'm getting too old to fight anymore.
>
> Totally agreed. If there will be no KDE - I won't be running Linux on
> my home desktop.
> KDE is the only Linux'es choice before users run back to Windows.
<snip>
That is a somewhat exaggerated statement I believe. My preference is
also for KDE, but I also like the BlackBox , and if it's a really old
computer xfce4 guis. In particular xfce takes a lot less overhead and
is still pleasing to the eye, so far, than most of the guis I have
tried.

It is one of the joys of Linux that you can keep playing around until
you find a desktop or no gui at all that pleases your eye and
intuition.. or at least it seems intuitive by the time you actually
spend time thinking about it.. These different guis are included on the
Suse disks, and I would think probably are included in the downloadable
version as well.

I read in the Linux Pro magazine this month that Novell has bowed to the
pressure (?!??!!) But has made one small, but important , at least to
the article writer, change... Gnome will be the FIRST choice in the
list of guis to install; and the implication was, that should you
install , for instance, Gnome, KDE, xfce4, fluxbox, fvwm2, or an any of
what seems an almost endless list of guis... Gnome will be your first
choice to boot to.

I believe that is a misguided attempt to get people who do NOT pay
attention when they click to load the Gnome desktop unknowingly, on the
impression that if they "try it they will like it"...

But as long as there is choice.. I stay w/ Suse ;-D
"There's a woman goin' crazy on Caroline Street Stoppin' every man that
she does meet
Sayin' if you'll be gentle if you'll be sweet I'll show you my place on
Caroline Street" Song lyric