Re: [SLE] Changing hardware IRQ's
  • From: Darryl Gregorash <raven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 16:03:00 -0600
On 02/05/06 07:21, Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) wrote:
> Darryl Gregorash wrote:
>> On 29/04/06 07:21, Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) wrote:
>>
>>> I have a 9.2 system here where the network card(Realtek 8139) and the
>>> on-board sound have the same IRQ.
>>
>> If either of the devices is a busmaster, then it should not matter if
>> they share the irq. One of my network cards is a busmaster, and my sound
>> card, both network cards, and USB are all on the same irq with no
>> problems.
>>
>>> Would moving eth0 to a different PCI slot help?
>>
>> If it is a busmaster, the preferred place is in slot 0.
> And I would easily be able to pick up that the device is a
> busconductor ie how do I determine this?

A busmastering device has 2 notches in the edge connector. To take full
advantage of the mastering abilities, it needs to be in a busmaster
slot, which has of course 2 keys (a non-busmaster card won't fit into
it), but my experience has always been that without a busmaster slot
available, things always seem to work better if the busmaster card is in
slot 0.

< Previous Next >