Re: [SLE] Warning to Americans!(now going OT)
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 22:39:23 -0700
Carlos,

On Tuesday 02 May 2006 17:04, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> The Tuesday 2006-05-02 at 12:37 +0100, Kevanf1 wrote:
> > ... The solar energy is then used to split the
> > water. It doesn't take much in the way of electrical power to
> > produce the two gases after all.
>
> No, it takes the same energy as the combination of hydrogen and
> oxygen will produce later at the motor (or better, at the energy
> cell). More, in fact, considering losses.

Sadly, electrolysis is a very inefficient way to produce hydrogen gas.
And while it's true we've got so very much more solar energy than we
need, even after the biosphere gets everything it needs, it still is a
wasteful thing to do with a high-quality form of energy such as
electricity. If you want to store the energy, which is of course is a
practical necessity, since it's rarely needed in proprotion to its
availability, you do better to simply pump water uphill!
Electromechanical energy conversion (i.e., motors and generators) is a
lot more efficient than electrochemical conversion (batteries, fuel
cells and electrolysis).

> --
> Cheers,
> Carlos Robinson