Re: [SLE] Re: GNOME vs KDE Redoux
  • From: Kevanf1 <kevanf1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 09:59:10 +0100
On 03/05/06, kai <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tuesday 02 May 2006 02:00 am, Kevanf1 wrote:
> On 02/05/06, Sven Burmeister <sven.burmeister@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi!

> > > I think it's something to do with the fact that a lot of GNOME is LGPL
> > > now, so it's easier to tie proprietary stuff to it. I find this
> > > amusingly ironic, seeing that de Icaza started GNOME because the
> > > then-Qt license wasn't "free" enough ....
> >
> > And SuSE 10.1 did not want to supply any kernel-tainting stuff anymore.
> > What else then tainting is putting non-OSS stuff into (L)GPL code? If one
> > does not want to have non-OSS bits in an OSS environment, then LGPL is
> > not really what one wants to supply, as it encourages to use non-OSS
> > bits.
> >
> > Sven
>
> There is a printed promise by Greg Mancusi-Ungaro (he directs Linux
> and open source marketing at Novell) in the latest Linux Format
> magazine (LXF 80 - it'll be on UK newsagents shelves in a day or two).
> In it he states:
>
> "SUSE has always included both KDE and Gnome and will continue to
> support both, as will our enterprise products going forward. It's
> been challenging for us to work with partners in a way that's
> rational, but we've decided that in the next generation of our
> enterprise products, Gnome will be the default desktop. But we will
> continue to ship and support KDE, for a number of reasons."

Translated: We will be Gnome-centric and focus all efforts on Gnome. We will
expect all people to obey to our whim. However, the rest of you losers out
there can choose KDE just like you can choose Blackbox, IceWM, Enlightenment
or any of the other "Non-Gnome" Window Managers. Good luck.
--

I agree. Especially after reading another bit out of that article
which I don't remember if I posted here? Anyway, the interviewee

Kevan Farmer

Linux user #373362

Cheslyn Hay
Staffordshire