Re: [SLE] Re: GNOME vs KDE Redoux
  • From: Peter B Van Campen <pbvanca1@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 12:44:13 -0500

On May 3, 2006, at 11:34 AM, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

"Bryan S. Tyson" <bryantyson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

On Tuesday 02 May 2006 05:00 am, Kevanf1 wrote:
I am now starting to think
that SuSE will actually begin to push Gnome over and above KDE in the
near future. If this happens I truly believe it will be a big
mistake.

I think SuSE wants to go Gnome-only. They are half-heartedly continuing to
include it for now, because of user complaints, but I won't be surprised to
see them drop it entirely after a while, or at least relegate it to a status
of near-oblivion.

We're supporting both GNOME and KDE - and just look at the current
SUSE Linux 10.1 RCs, it contains both a good KDE and a good GNOME.
The change is that with 10.1 we have - compared to e.g. 9.1 - not one
but two desktops that we take special care of.

There might be individuals - inside and outside of Novell - that would
like a GNOME or KDE distribution, but the commitment for SUSE Linux is
to support both,

Andreas
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 N├╝rnberg, Germany

Hi, Andreas,

Thank you for making this clear! KDE fans have nothing to fear. Gnome fans have nothing to fear. All are welcome. I myself am a KDE fan but look forward to seeing a Gnome implementation from the "Home of Gmone"; who else could do it better.

PeterB

< Previous Next >