Re: [SLE] Re: GNOME vs KDE Redoux
  • From: Peter Onion <Peter.Onion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 22:26:34 +0100
On Wed, 2006-05-03 at 22:29 -0500, Mark H. Harris wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 May 2006 21:43, kai wrote:
>
> > I can very easily see the tide slowly turning from one of emphatic support
> > of KDE to that of simple maintenance.
>
> I am amazed at some of the comments on this thread. Ok, basics... Linux is not
> Winblows... the desktop is *not* tied to the OS in Linux... the desktop is
> *not* tied to the distribution in Linux... Suse doesn't support the KDE
> desktop, the KDE community supports the KDE desktop... If Suse ever ships
> without KDE (and it won't anytime soon) I will add the KDE desktop myself.

Could it be that the problem here is that these days an increasing
percentage of Linux users are unable to do this sort of thing ? If they
are converts from the Windblows world are they dependent on the
features/facilities/packages provided "out of the box" and thus
inexperienced in building things from sources ?

I wonder how many of the contributors to this thread have ever built KDE
or GNOME from the sources ? I have not had to build GNOME from source
for a couple of years now.

Peter

< Previous Next >