Re: [SLE] Re: GNOME vs KDE Redoux
  • From: "Mark H. Harris" <harrismh777@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 19:24:32 -0500
On Friday 05 May 2006 06:18, elefino wrote:
> The first group reached saturation long ago. There's not
> much growth to be had anymore among hobbyists. There's
> plenty of room among users-with-actual-lives.
> Eventually, some of the hobbyists will get so pissed with
> the expectations and limitations of users-with-actual-lives,
> that some of them will get together and create a new
> hobbyist platform... well, they will after the wars about
> switching to a "pure" form of BSD or some such.

I'm actually in the middle... I am a computer hobbyist, and I also have a life
which involves compute science to one degree or another. I use my systems for
real-world applications and I find that the Unix-like platform i686 does the
best job. One of the main reasons is that it is infinitely configurable and
open-source. I do believe that there are a number of people moving from
Windoze who are not up to speed yet with the primary advantages of
open-source-- we hobbyists need to educate when possible.

I also *buy* distributions (I used to buy RedHat, now I buy Suse)... unlike
some hobbyists who believe it is *not* moral to spend money for software, I
find that packaged documented tested distributions are great starting points
for real-world users and hobbyists alike. However, the real power and freedom
I get from Linux distributions is that they provide real flexibility not
available to PC users under Micro$oft Windoze. It is high time that the
computer user community (hobbyists and real-world users) are no longer under
the thumbs of those knot-heads at Redmond, nor under the constant attack of
Windblows crackers, spyware, yadda yadda.

Anyone can learn to use a makefile... compiling from sources is a piece of
cake.

--
Kind regards,

Mark H. Harris <><