Re: [SLE] Re: GNOME vs KDE Redoux
  • From: Kevanf1 <kevanf1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 20:11:53 +0100
On 06/05/06, Mike McMullin <mwmcmlln@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

I realize I'm nitpicking here, but "windows user(s)" and "typical
windows user(s)" can be two completely different animals. The first is
all inclusive, and a poor choice of words, the second has built in
exclusions, i.e. those who write and compile windows apps.

I'd say that the percentage of Windows users who do not know one jot
of programming far, far out ways those who do. Whereas the opposite
is true in the Linux world. One day, many years in the future the
latter will change. A PC user should not 'have' to know about how to
compile software just to use the PC. The PC is now a consumer item
the same as a tv set. As unpalatable as it may be to many long term
Linux fans, the tide has to turn if more people are going to use
Linux. I'm not saying that to stir up trouble just that it is a
necessity.

Kevan Farmer

Linux user #373362

Cheslyn Hay