Re: [SLE] Re: GNOME vs KDE Redoux
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 May 2006 22:10:36 +0200 (CEST)

The Saturday 2006-05-06 at 12:37 -0400, Ken Jennings wrote:

> > > Windows users *do not* compile anything. They buy or download.
> >
> > Not true. I was a dos/windows user before coming to unix or linux, and
> > compiled a lot of things.
>
> Since when does (or did) a compiler come with Windows? So, how does the
> typical Windows user compile anything?

Since when does or (did) anything come with Windows? So, how does the
typical Windows user do anything?

But then, I never mentioned _typical_ users. I was thinking of myself and
many others.

It is true that most windows users know nothing about programming.
Nevertheless there are many that do program. And nowdays, even gcc has a
version for windows! Or they can use some of the basic flavours, some of
them free (I know basic is (normally) interpreted).

Also, 10 years ago, Linux was not so popular, so most tinkerers (or
hackers, if you please) did their things in dos/windows. In fact, I
Compiled more things in Windows than in Linux - considering that in
windows they were mostly my own, and in Linux they are from somebody else
and I do not understand them.

In fact, many people, me included, compile things in Linux without really
knowing what we are doing. I download something, type configure, then
make, then checkinstall... if something goes wrong, I have a look at the
messages, install something else, and then retry. If I can't do it, I ask
here. Linux programmer? Certainly not. I can't. Too complicated.

Many linux users do not really Compile any thing (uppercase intended).
They just enter a more complex set of commands to install things. And I'm
in that group. Most of the time, that is. I don't consider that Compiling,
as in programming.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson