Re: [SLE] 10.1
  • From: "Greg Freemyer" <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 18:57:31 -0400
On 5/8/06, Marshall Lake <mlake@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Once again, Novel/SUSE hasn't announced the release and pre-order of
> SUSE 10.0 on it's web site. It's supposed to start shipping on May
> 11.....according the person I spoke with at Novel today.

(I assume that should be 10.1 rather than 10.0.)

This announcement makes me raise the question ... for someone who
purchased 10.0 and has (auto-) kept up with the updates are there any
advantages to purchasing 10.1 ?

update => security patches.

SuSE (Novell) does not provide updates to the packages via Yast.

If you want newer versions of any of the packages and/or kernel then
you need to upgrade to 10.1.

Lots of people skip some of the versions. Security patches are
provided for 2 years and if you are in a secure env. you can run a
version basically as long as you want.

Personally, I very been working with Ruby on Rails recently. Great
dev. env., but it requires post 10.0 versions of Ruby and a few other
packages. I definately want to get 10.1 asap.

Even more I'm already looking forward to 10.2. The SATA driver
(libata) is being drastically overhauled in the mainline kernel
currently. That work should be done in time for 10.2 in 6 months.

FYI: SATA improvements being worked on: Major overhaul of error
handling, graceful speed degradation, PIO support in libata, PATA
support in libata, hotplug support, and more I'm sure I'm forgetting. For most of the above it is too late for 2.6.17, but hopefully a lot
of this will get into 2.6.18. I doubt it all gets in there.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group