RE: [SLE] SuSE interview Greg Mancusi-Ungaro
  • From: "Dave Crouse" <opensuse.us@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 11:22:15 -0500
Subject: Re: [SLE] SuSE interview Greg Mancusi-Ungaro

I'm pretty sure that changing the "default" window manager, is nothing
like removing it completely....

Even Fedora still has KDE, even though their default window manager is
that ugly blue-curve thing...

and I'm also sure Novell and RedHat have read this as well :

Torvalds Says 'Use KDE'
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/usability/2005-December/msg00021.html
QUOTE:
-----------------
I personally just encourage people to switch to KDE.

This "users are idiots, and are confused by functionality" mentality of
Gnome is a disease. If you think your users are idiots, only idiots will
use it. I don't use Gnome, because in striving to be simple, it has long
since reached the point where it simply doesn't do what I need it to do.

Please, just tell people to use KDE.

Linus
------------------

Good enough for me ;)

On 5/12/06, Peter Collier <pecb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Friday 12 May 2006 05:20, kai wrote:
> On Thursday 11 May 2006 03:49 pm, Peter Nikolic wrote:
> > On Thursday 11 May 2006 22:53, Kevanf1 wrote:
> > > I mentioned an interview with one of the marketing guys from
> > > SuSE/Novell recently. This was in conjunction with ongoing debate
> > > about whether SuSE/Novell are dropping Gnome or not.
> > >
> > > Well, read the article yourselves now and make your own minds up. See
> > > if you conclude the same as I did and think that KDE will be dropped
> > > at some point.
> >
> > I have not had chance to read the article yet but in the long run if
> > SuSe/Novell drop KDE then a lot of people will drop SuSe the question
> > then becomes the loosers us cus we dumped SuSe of them cus they lost us
> > as customers and then do they even care .
> >
> > If they are going to become totaly Gnomecentric then i am on my bike that
> > instant to and KDEcentric distro as Gnome suks very badly..
>
> From reading the article (thanks, Kevin) and reading the posts here, I can
> now understand what Novell's motivation/postion is. It makes perfect
> business sense to follow the leader (Red Hat) in terms of competing on an
> apples-apples basis in the corporate desktop world. In addition, it
> mentioned that Ubuntu has a Gnome-based business offering ready or in the
> works. Hence, there are already two major distributions focused on Gnome.
> Why not join them?
>
> As Greg says when asked why they chose Gnome, "when you look around the
> major distributions you see that Gnome is the choice for the standard
> desktop. So Novell had a chance to do one of two things: we could ether
> turn the whole industry into a Gnome vs KDE debate or we could choose Gnome
> and take the debate off the table...we've made this decision to try to
> clarify for the community, for our enterprises, and for our hardware and
> software vendors [which desktop] to certify their stuff on."
>
> The way I read that is Novell has decided on Gnome in order to put a more
> solid competitive front against RedHat, Microsoft and any other enterprise
> desktop vendors.
>
> Fair enough.
>
> I may still think Gnome stinks and that Red Hat, Ubuntu and Novell are
> seriously misguided in their decision to support the desktop, but at least
> they have stood up and told us - the community - where they stand and where
> they're going.
>
> It may very well come to pass that KDE begins to focus on the home market
> (Mandriva, Xandros, Lindows) and Gnome developers focus on the business
> market (Novell, Ubuntu, Redhat) in order to gain against the entrenched
> competition. So be it. I can use KDE at home and Gnome at work. No reason
> I can't launch KMail at work or Evolution at home.

snip
> kai - www.perfectreign.com

I have seen that although Ubuntu started as a gnome based distro, they are
now progressing seriously with a KDE version, Kbuntu. I've read somewhere
that this is the version that is being the one favoured by Mark Shuttleworth,
the founder of Ubuntu and if what I've read is correct, then I would think
that KDE could be eventually their main offering.

Peter C