Remind me never to use this torrent stuff
  • From: kai <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 19:24:35 -0700
I started dowloading the 10.1 using this torrent source thing. I'd downloaded
a few things before and figured it would be good to both serve and get.

Man what a mess. I left my laptop on all night, expecting the 3GB torrent to
be finished.

Nope.

I got a message on my system after only 700MB saying the KTorrent had somehow
bombed. (I don't have Azereous on this machine.) I then launched Azereous
and tried the torrent again. While only getting 80 - 100Kb/sec download, I
let it download all day while I was at work.

Sure enough, it had only downloaded 800MB. What a joke! If I'd just done a
direct download I would have had all five CDs downloaded in a few hours. (I
have 3000KB/s DSL with general sustained speeds of 2500 or better.)

Unless this torrent system gets better I give up. Now off to downloading the
old-fashioned way - FTP.

<grumpy old man voice>

"Back in my day, we had to type ftp commands by hand, including bin and get.

I used to have to remember how to type anonymous.

And we liked it!"

</ grumpy old man voice>

--
kai - www.perfectreign.com
www.livebeans.com - the new NetBeans community

43...for those who require slightly more than
the answer to life, the universe and everything.

< Previous Next >