Re: [SLE] Remind me never to use this torrent stuff
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 14:13:02 +0200
Kevanf1 wrote:

> I know a lot of people who have given up on the Torrent system.
> Myself included. This, despite optimising the uploads and downloads
> as stated. I now tend to wait a few weeks and then download via good
> old fashioned ftp. I leave it those few weeks so as not to overload
> any servers.

I tend to download the next beta or RC within a day or two of it
becoming available on my local mirrors. I often see upwards of 400kbps
download speed, although the 10.1GM is clearly a lot more popular, so
download speeds have now dropped to less than 80kbps.

AFAICS, the success/usefulness of bittorrent is closely tied to
1) popularity of the product/file/data and 2) capabilities of
FTP-servers. As long as 2) is sufficient to deal with 1), there's
little or no need for bittorrent.

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich