Re: [SLE] Remind me never to use this torrent stuff
  • From: Rui Santos <rsantos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 13:53:48 +0100
Carlos E. R. wrote:

> The Friday 2006-05-12 at 19:24 -0700, kai wrote:
>
> >> Unless this torrent system gets better I give up. Now off to
> downloading the
> >> old-fashioned way - FTP.
>
> For me, the text mode "btdownloadcurses" works fine. But! Remember not to
> use your full upload capacity, or your download will suffer (your ACKs
> get delayed). Remember to open ports "6880:6889" in the firewall.
Yes Carlos, you are almost right, IMHO.

If you do not limit the upload speed to something less that your ISP
subscribed speed, your router will tend to store packets in it's cache
and therefore delay some of the IP packets, thus slowing the downloading
speed because of upload congestion speed. This is just a rough way to
overcome those problems. The better way, IMHO, is to use some kind of
traphic shapping - I use the one at
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/ADSL-Bandwidth-Management-HOWTO/implementation.html
, but SuSEFirewall2 has something on it that should do the same thing,
witch is the FW_HTB_TUNE_DEV option. I prefer the first option because
is more "tweakable".
Just as an example, I have a 640kbit/s upload speed. If i do not limit
it to 600kbits I will not even get a 400kbits download. But if I do, I
can get up to the full subscribed 4Mbits/s.

About the ports to opened, with azureus you will need just one of your
choice. I encourage people to stay out of the "6880:6889" range, because
many ISP's now also do some traffic shaping of their own, setting these
ports to a low priority traffic, thus delaying the entire bittorrent
protocol/transfers. Choose something like port 49152.
Besides that, you not only have to open that port on the firewall but,
you also have to forward it to your internal IP address of the machine
that is running azureus.
Example:
Router IP Address = 192.168.0.1
Internal machine IP address = 192.168.0.5
TCP Port in Azureus: 49152
Settings on SuSEFirewall2:
FW_SERVICES_EXT_TCP: add the "49152" port
FW_FORWARD_MASQ: add "0/0,192.168.0.5,tcp,49152" to what you already have
Then restart SuSEFirewall2 and you should be ready to go.

Also remember that usually, if you have cheap routers, they might not be
able to handle all connections that azureus initiate. I now have a much
better up/down speed/readiness, because I switched my cheap router to a
pppoe Bridge router, and now use my firewall to connect to my ISP using
pppd and pppoe software through an extra NIC.

This is just my experience about two years trying to get the most out of
my ADSL connection. Just hope it helps someone. Also, forgive me about
some not so well managed sentences but, English is not my native language.

> The speed depends on how many people are uploading.
yeap. Also depends on their uploading speed.