SUSE Linux 10.1 - 32-bit or 64-bit
  • From: "Matt Bottrell" <mbottrell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 22:01:58 +1000
Hi all,

My desktop is has an AMD Athlon64 X2 4400+ Dual Core Processor.

As such it supports 64-bits.

I used 10.0 with the x86_64 distro... so that I had a native 64-bit OS.

This was great for most things ... though I did find the following issues:

* Multimedia via the Packman repository seemed broken... for instance the
MPlayer plugin failed to work in Firefox.
* Support for multimedia generally failed under 64bit...
* No Flash for Firefox with 64-bit browser.

Whilst I know these aren't directly related to SUSE... has this support
improved at all from 10.0 -> 10.1

Currently I got around it by dropping back to a 32-bit firefox and plugins
to get a 'working system'.

Should I install 64-bit this time around?
Has some of these problems been fixed or is this still outstanding?
Is the solution to do a 64-bit install and run some 32-bit apps -- like
Firefox, Mplayer, etc.

Cheers,

Matt.

--