Re: [SLE] Totally OT: 64/32,... -- memory models are _everything_ to programs
  • From: "Orn E. Hansen" <orn_hansen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 07:30:57 +0200
Mánudaginn 15 maí 2006 05:40 skrifaði Bryan J. Smith:
> Sigh. You _utterly_ missed my point. Sigh. I'm talking about the
> _technical_reality_ of how memory models work. x86-64 is _no_different_
> -- it's just another memory model.

The entire arguement of this, was taken back in 8/16, to 16/32, you lost
about 20 years ago. The x864 CPU, is basically an old 8088 using it's AH
register, that then was extended to be an AX register, that then got extended
to be an EAX register. All of which exist in a CS (Code Segment) or a DS
(Data Segment) capable of segmenting the memory access down to 16k blocks.
All of which currently exist within a built in memory controller that can
translate memory access within 4k or 16k space.

The problem can EASILY be solved, it could be solved WITHOUT the memory
controller. It merely requires a lot of work, and some work that requires
some innovation that hasn't been done BEFORE.

The past years, it has been pretty tiresome to hear the old rhetoric at how
Gates and Windows are evil. That they've been "blocking" innovation. The
fact of the matter is, that the community of self-proclaimed Gods in the
Linux community has done more to block it, than Gates, at late. No no, don't
tell me to start providing patches, because even if I did, they wouldn't be
accepted by the community. The community hasn't been about "sharing" for
about 5-10 years.

Personally, I'm beginning to think Linux is a platform that I should leave
by now. Don't like what the core on it is, these days.