Re: [SLE] Totally OT: 64/32,... -- memory models are _everything_ to programs
  • From: "Bryan J. Smith" <b.j.smith@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 11:10:40 -0400
On Mon, 2006-05-15 at 09:46 -0400, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> Just for historical purposes, WoW has been around for a long time since it
> was also used in the 16-bit to 32-bit world.

Yes, I know (and mentioned that in many of my posts).

WoW is a hack by Microsoft because it has legacy codebases that weren't
"32-bit" clean or, now, "64-bit clean." It sucked pretty hard in NT
3.1, although more of NT 3.5 was "32-bit clean."

[ Although everything changed, for the worse, in NT3.51 "Daytona" which
added some "Chicago" (aka Windows 95) compatibility and utterly
destroyed any chance Win32 had to be a solid API -- long story. ]

The same is happening again with NT 5.1 Windows XP x64 and even NT 6.0
Windows Vista. You've got a largely 32-bit set of libraries/programs,
and you're using WoW to allow Win32 to use Win64 and vice-versa.

For Fedora or SuSE-based Linux x86-64 to do the same, we'd have to
_yank_out_ 90% of the 64-bit programs/libraries, default to 32-bit
libraries, and build a set of wrappers/translators so newer 64-bit
programs can call 32-bit programs/libraries/plug-ins. It's slow,
inefficient and 10 steps backwards.

Microsoft has to do it because much of Win32 is not easily ported into
Win64. We've got a "64-bit clean" platform in GNU. You ship nearly
100% 64-bit programs/libraries, then select 32-bit programs/libraries
for compatibility. And that includes skipping select 64-bit programs
and preferring their previous 32-bit versions.

Like Firefox.

--
Bryan J. Smith Professional, technical annoyance
mailto:b.j.smith@xxxxxxxx http://thebs413.blogspot.com

< Previous Next >