Re: [SLE] Media mount failure when adding new installation source from DVD?
  • From: "Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC)" <hylton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 12:30:34 +0200
Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) wrote:
I have a SuSE 9.2 system here which was installed from official SuSE install pack ie the one with CD's and DVD's. I installed from the CD's as I did not have a DVD drive at that time.

I rec'd a Linux Magazine DVD of SuSE 10.0, which I have already installed on another machine to dual boot with Win XP, so I can only assume the DVD is not faulty.

On my SuSE 9.2 only machine I decided to see if there were updated
packages on it for certain apps.
1. Yast->Change src of installation
2. Chose Add->DVD
3. Message comes up saying it is acquiring the src and the light flashes
on CDROM and not on the DVD drive.
4. After a couple of seconds an error message appears saying
"unable to create installation source from url dvd:///
ERROR(Media:mount failed)
Try again <Y> <N>

The number of times I have pressed <Y> to have the same result as otem 3 and 4 cannot be counted.

Below are the entries from my fstab and both are identical.

fstab:
/dev/cdrom /media/cdrom subfs fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0
/dev/dvdrecorder /media/dvdrecorder subfs fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0

The DVD drive was detected by SuSEplugger when it was installed. The drive has not been bumped on even moved and is in a stationary desktop box.
I can read the documentation on the DVD, and see there are other files, on the DVD if I go via the KDE 'My computer' on the desktop or via konqi to /media/dvedrecorder and yet I cannot mount the DVD to read the file containing the software index?

DVD drive is a Liteon brand model: DVDROM R-DL and RW drive. More details I could probably get from the box although no model numbers seem to be specified.
CD drive is also a Liteon however read only at 48x. CDROM was in the machine when 9.2 was installed DVDROM wasn't as it has only just been added. The DVD was setected by SuSEPlugger and installed as above.

What am I missing to get this drive working before 10.1 is ordered and delivered?
What, no comments?
I'll try and search the archives but online time is expensive.

Is it a 'feature' of 9.2 to do the above?

Should I even worry about it?