Re: [SLE] Permanant bridge
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 18:17:28 +0200
Peter Van Lone wrote:

> On 5/18/06, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Uh, rerun the brctl commands at boot-time? Bascially insert the
>> proper script into your startup sequence or add them to the standard
>> SUSE network-startup.
>
> lol! (following is a 'mini-thread-hijaak' ...)
>
> Per, you make that sound so simple! I am struggling to make sense of
> how to simply "insert the proper script into your startup sequence".

Hi Peter,

I was kind of debating whether to throw in the entire explanation, but
decided to just keep it simple. Altering the startup-sequence on your
your Linux-system may seem a little much, but it really isn't.

Others have already explained how it's done - using /etc/init.d/skeleton
as a ... skeleton :-) etc.

In the case of the bridging commands, I think my preference would be to
add them as part of the network startup. I'm sure there are some hooks
that allow scripts to be called when the right interfaces are up etc.
Check out /etc/sysconfig/network or somewhere like that.

> When is it OK to just put startup commands into
> /etc/init.d/boot.local?

The key criteria is the time when boot.local is called - which is very
early, certainly before any network interfaces are up.

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich
PS: sometimes I leave out the exact details - after all, it's a
learning exercise, so if I gave away the answers right away,
well .... :-)