Re: [SLE] SUSE Linux 10.1 - 32-bit or 64-bit
  • From: "Bryan J. Smith" <b.j.smith@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 19:05:28 -0400
On Fri, 2006-05-19 at 00:45 +1000, Matt Bottrell wrote:
> I've found the 'mixed-mode' a PITA when trying to update packages. :( My
> gut feel is just to run the 32-bit version in the interim until we get some
> of these apps over eventually to 64-bit.
> A shame... but much cleaner.
> I do understand the processor/library reasons for this. However from an
> end-user viewpoint it's frustrating to say the least.
> Also try explaining it to relos.. with their shiny new 'linux' about 64-bit
> binaries and 32-bit binaries... particularly when they are computer novices
> and use Suse for Web-browsing and Email. (really!)

I don't know why Novell and/or Red Hat can't just come up with a set of
select packages that are shipped as i386/i586/i686 binaries in the
x86-64 version and _not_ ship any x86-64 option for those select
binaries. Just leave those select, subset of packages as
i386/i586/i686, _period_.

I've now experienced the same "update hell" on SuSE Linux 10.x x86-64 as
I have been dealing with on Fedora Core x86-64 (although at least SuSE
puts the option for i586 on the same CDs/DVD as x86-64).

Sigh, I'm getting really tempted to fork my own, x86-64 only
distribution of Fedora (or maybe even OpenSuSE), using my extensive
experience in running Fedora Core x86-64 distros with a complete 32-bit
Firefox/multimedia stack over these past 15 or so months.

--
Bryan J. Smith Professional, technical annoyance
mailto:b.j.smith@xxxxxxxx http://thebs413.blogspot.com