Re: [SLE] Problem with Tomcat 5.0
  • From: "Gaël Lams" <lamsgael@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 14:11:04 +0200
Hi,

I am having a problem with Tomcat on SuSE 10.0 namely it will not start:

WARNING: Unexpected exception resolving reference
java.io.FileNotFoundException:
/usr/share/tomcat5/conf/tomcat-users.xml.new (Permission denied)
I have not made any changes to that file and the permissions on the
file which the error is complaining about are set to:
I have 2 servers that have the same problem, is anyone else
experiencing this??? It used to work maybe a few days ago and I have
made some updates since then now it does not.

I never used the tomcat rpm given by Suse so I may be wrong but when
you performed a update, yast executed different scripts: probably one
of these scripts modified your permissions/configuration (suse's
documentation often remembers it).
You have two possibilities
- find that script and modifies it so that it does not happen again
- if you decide to use Tomcat on a production server, my advice would
be not to use the one provided by Suse but to download it from
tomcat.apache.org and configure it the way you want. I've nothing
against the tomcat's installationm made by Suse but this way you will
1) really understand how it's configured and 2) keep control of your
installation. It's for instance the same reason why, for my zope
instances, I don't use the python provided by the distribution.
Obviously, it's just a personal preference.

Should you decide to follow my second suggestion, I can send you a
step-by-step how-to, it's not that difficult.

Regards,

Gaël