Mailinglist Archive: opensuse (5130 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [SLE] Skype sound problems in 10.0
  • From: "C. Brouerius van Nidek" <cbroueriusvannidek@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 16:37:21 +0700
  • Message-id: <200605201637.22555.cbroueriusvannidek@xxxxxxxxx>
On Saturday 20 May 2006 02:34, Hans du Plooy wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-05-10 at 16:13 +0200, Clayton wrote:
> > Anyway, I did find a way to "work around" the problem... I bought a
> > Logitech USB headset, and set it as the default device for Skype. A
> > couple notable changes... the sound quality improved 1000x, and I
> > don't get the "problem with sound device" error anymore.
> Fantastic - I got mine today - very happy!
Am close to going for this hardware solution if it works with you Hans. Could
you report the results.
In the meantime I have taken two steps to improve my Skype. They seem to work.
Found them on the Skype list. I changed the hangup.wav from a 16 bit into a 8
bit. It is the only 16 bit of the Skype wav and it is said to help with the
general problem. The second change is to start Skype with "artsdsp -m
Skype" . I did this in the Skype desktop icon. This worked up to now in my
9.3. Will now try it out in the 10.0 and next week in the 10.1
The general mood on the Skype list is down and nobody expects any improvement
soon. More then six months without any change/improvement although the source
of the problem is known to be the use of OSS in Skype instead of alsa.

< Previous Next >
Follow Ups