Services in rc<x>.d directories
  • From: Sergey Mkrtchyan <crusoe@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 14:40:50 +0500
Hi folks!

I have got some questionS concerning the services which starts at runlevels.
First one is: In the /etc/init.d/rc<x>.d directory symbolic links to the
appropriate executable files, And there are two links for each
program(one for killing it - the name starting with "K", and one for
starting - name starting with "S").
So first question is: How the two links pointing to the same file works
in a different way, in one case the same file kills the process, in the
next it starts...As I know there isn't any parameters for the links?
Do I understand it correctly?
And next one is: I just want to add something(for example xmms) to start
automaticaly in runlevel 5, so in my /etc/init.d/rc5.d directory I
created symbolic link to /usr/bin/xmms executable file with a name like
S22xmms, I was thinking how to create another link with K22xmms, but
didn't find the answer. Anyway it didn't worked after restarting...I
tried to add it using chkconfig...like

linux:~/Install # chkconfig -a /usr/bin/xmms
/usr/bin/xmms: unknown service
/usr/bin/xmms: not a runlevel service

and in yast's part of System Services (Runlevel) I didn't find anyway to
"add" something

Is it some default set of programs to start at booting and there can't
be added anything?

And I was wondering why the numbers of links is not in the increasing
order...In my case the /etc/init.d/rc5.d content is:

. K05nscd K10microcode and so on...with
.. K05postfix K10splash appropriate "S" ones
K01cupsrenice K05xdm K10sshd
K02powersaved K06cups K12nfs
K03haldaemon K07mdnsd K12nfsboot
K04cron K10acpid K14portmap
K04smbfs K10alsasound K14splash_early

I can assume that the same numbers is for the processes to start
simultaneously(please correct me if I am not right), but why for example
From K07mdnsd comes K10acpid and not K08 acpid?

Any help greatly appreciated :) and sorry for a long post

Best regards,
Sergey

--
Sergey Mkrtchyan