Re: [SLE] 10.1 bittorrent
  • From: James Wright <jwright01@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 06:47:56 -0400
Mike McMullin wrote:
Can I replace the faulty .iso files in the directory that my
bitttorrent client points to and have others get the correct .iso's or
do I need to make a torrent?
While it may work, a torrent file is basically a hash of the files contained in the download. As a person downloads with bittorrent, each block of the file is checked by hashing and comparing with the torrent file to make sure it matches. In this case, because the files are .iso's, and are supposed to have individually matching MD5's, it may work fine. If you use Azureus (possibly other clients as well) you can specify the download of only certain files in a torrent. If other people downloading this particular torrent are not having MD5 match-up problems then I would go this route (if you have the bandwidth to spare) rather than replacing the iso's.

- James W.