Mailinglist Archive: opensuse (5130 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [SLE] 10.1 bittorrent
  • From: Mike McMullin <mwmcmlln@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 09:11:49 -0400
  • Message-id: <1148130710.30147.10.camel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On Sat, 2006-05-20 at 06:47 -0400, James Wright wrote:
> Mike McMullin wrote:
> > Can I replace the faulty .iso files in the directory that my
> > bitttorrent client points to and have others get the correct .iso's or
> > do I need to make a torrent?

> While it may work, a torrent file is basically a hash of the files
> contained in the download. As a person downloads with bittorrent, each
> block of the file is checked by hashing and comparing with the torrent
> file to make sure it matches.

If true this reduces the problem to two possibilities, a corruption of
teh copy to the directory burned from (I used xcdroast not k3b, and it
looks at a specific directory for .iso files.), or the .iso files them
selves were corrupt in the original torrent. I'll try buring an .iso
with k3b and check it in YaST.

> In this case, because the files are
> .iso's, and are supposed to have individually matching MD5's, it may
> work fine. If you use Azureus (possibly other clients as well) you can
> specify the download of only certain files in a torrent. If other
> people downloading this particular torrent are not having MD5 match-up
> problems then I would go this route (if you have the bandwidth to spare)
> rather than replacing the iso's.

I'll check the re-burn and know better what may have happened. At the
moment though I am using wget to grab the two .iso's in question.

Mike


< Previous Next >