Re: [SLE] Services in rc<x>.d directories
  • From: "Peter Van Lone" <petervl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 08:54:22 -0500
On 5/20/06, Leendert Meyer <leen.meyer@xxxxxxx> wrote:
BTW, doesn't xmms depend on X? If it can run without X, then no worries.

Nice answer, Leendert ..

I have recently been learing about this, and it seems that you are
right, and as long as skeleton is used as a template and the resulting
script is left in /etc/init.d, then when chkconfig runs -- the sym
links get added automagically to the rc<x>.d directories, and all is
good.

But, it seems to me that the init.d process is really intended for
service daemons -- isn't xmms just an audio player?

I think both KDE and GNOME have a method for "autostarting" user
applications like xmms ...

from the thread with subjec Amarok Audio Player:

"n KDE if you want it to autostart just click on the link in the application
menu, drag it into .kde/Autostart (opened in Konqueror) & choose 'Copy here'
or 'Link here'."

I'm not sure this is exhaustive, but it should point to a better way
of auto-starting xmms.

Peter