Re: [SLE] system tray vs ./kde/Autostart
  • From: "Peter Van Lone" <petervl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 09:57:39 -0500
On 5/20/06, Leendert Meyer <leen.meyer@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> 1) how does one add-remove items from the "system tray"?

Usually by a right-click on its systemtray icon, followed by a click on
'Quit'.

well I think that just "hides" the app -- it is still in the system
tray. And that does not address ADDING something to the tray.

> 2)WHY would one autostart an app from the "system tray" instead of
> putting a shortcut into .kde/Autostart?

That depends on the application. Some applications settle themselves
automatically in the systemtray (e.g. KMix, KRandr), others have an option in
their configuration (Settings dialog) to enable embedding in the systemtray
(Amarok, KMail, Kaffeine). And there is another "proggy" whose name I forgot,
that can embed any other application in the systemtray.

BTW, systemtray and autostart are two different things.

If an application cannot be 'autostarted' by itself (e.g. by embedding it in
the system tray), then I would use the Autostart folder.

AHH -- I think I get it. You are saying that, a program needs to be
"designed" to go into the system tray. If it is not, then you don't
want to drag or otherwise move to the system tray, because it does not
understand it. Is that right?

So ... if an application shows up there, it is because it was designed
to do so, and I can choose to hide it (or if it's config menu give me
the choice, to remove it) from the system tray. But I can't add stuff
myself.

Every regular "user app" that I want to have autostart in KDE, I
should add a link to it in .kde/Autostart. Correct?

Finally ... do even "terminal" kinds of applications go into
"Autostart"? Basically anything that I want to have running
automagically AS ME and not as root or some other user, should be
started from Autostart?

Peter