Re: [SLE] More on the Java Licence
  • From: "George Stoianov" <gstoyanoff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 13:36:38 -0400
On 5/20/06, Kevanf1 <kevanf1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 20/05/06, Glenn Holmer <gholmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Saturday 20 May 2006 05:31, Kevanf1 wrote:
> > Yep, I was wrong in my assumption that Sun had open sourced Java.
> > They've gone half way. They do keep saying it is their intention to
> > full open source Java though in accordance with the GNU Public
> > License.
>
> Please get your facts straight. Sun has never said it would use the GNU
> license for Java.
>
> http://news.com.com/2102-7344_3-6072760.html?tag=st.util.print
>
> This page includes a video of Rich Green on stage at JavaOne saying:
>
> "It isn't a question of whether, but a question of how."

They will use their own open source license for control and legal
reasons. Personally I think this would be great if it ever happened
one way or the other as that will give the open source community a
language that is cross platform and companies are using it for mission
critical applications in many places. If it was under the GNU License
it would be even better, but I am not a layer to understand the full
implications.

regards,
george

I would not have specifically said the GNU license if I had not read
it myself! If I can find the link I will post it on here.

Kevan Farmer

Linux user #373362

Cheslyn Hay
Staffordshire