Re: [SLE] Can't Boot Init 5 with Suse 10 OSS
  • From: Carl Hartung <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 01:27:30 -0400
On Saturday 20 May 2006 23:45, James Wright wrote:
> I am ready to rock and/or roll ;-). Sorry about the flood of
> information.

Sorry I didn't focus a little longer on the subject line! ;-)

I don't know how comfortable you are working in command line mode. Do you know
how to launch YaST's ncurses interface? Are you familiar with mc? Can you
change file ownership and permissions?... do basic things like create/remove
directories, rename and copy files? I'd just like to know how 'finely
grained' my writing of instructions should be. ;-)

The first thing I'd do is reset the default to runlevel 3. That way, every
time I miss the boot menu countdown timer or forget that I can't boot to
runlevel 5, I avoid having to hard reset the system unnecessarily.

The default is set in /etc/inittab:

# The default runlevel is defined here
id:5:initdefault:

Change '5' to '3'.

The next thing I'd do is pull some information together and e-mail it to
me :-)

hwinfo > /home/james/forensics/hwinfo.txt
lspci -v > /home/james/forensics/lspci.txt
lsmod > /home/james/forensics/lsmod.txt
cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /home/james/forensics/xorg.conf

cp /var/log/messages /home/james/forensics/messages.txt
cp /var/log/Xorg.0.log /home/james/forensics/Xorg.0.log.txt
cp /var/log/Xorg.99.log /home/james/forensics/Xorg.99.log.txt
cp /var/log/SaX.log /home/james/forensics/SaX.log.txt

tar and compress it so it's suitable for e-mail:

cd /home/james/forensics
tar -czf jamesdata.tar.gz *.txt

I'll catch up with you tomorrow, James, it's very late and I'm beat!

Carl