Re: [SLE] Can't Boot Init 5 with Suse 10 OSS
  • From: Carl Hartung <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 09:15:29 -0400
On Tuesday 23 May 2006 07:33, James Wright wrote:
> Windows XP and Server 2003 have not problems with this card,
> so I assume the card is fine.

Hi James,

The fact that your card still works under a M$ OS is interesting, but not
particularly relevant. Linux is constantly progressing... unlike
dinosaurs. ;-)

Did you see this thread excerpt?:

> [re TNT2]
> > Those cards are 6+ generations** (over 5 years**) old.
> Exactly! ... since one can buy a brand new (and _much_
> faster than TNT2) nVIDIA card (geforce mx4000) which _is_
> supported by nVIDIA's accelerated drivers, on AGP for less
> than UKP20 (or PCI for less than 30), then why not just do
> that to use xgl? Then sell the TNT2 on eBay (to a museum :-)

I hadn't realized the card was that old. Developers don't get much 'bang for
the buck' maintaining drivers for obsolete hardware. In this case, X has
progressed. So have graphics hardware capabilities (by leaps and bounds) and
the graphics/3D applications that take advantage of them. It is looking to me
like the driver for that card was maintained up to some 'final' version of X
then dropped in favor of development supporting the newer generation cards,
which incidentally are many times faster and relatively inexpensive.

If you desperately need to use *that* specific card, then you'll need to 'fix'
the driver yourself or downgrade to an earlier X that is supported by the
driver and/or even downgrade to a compatible installation of Linux. Sorry,
but that's how I'm beginning to interpret your situation.

regards,

Carl