Re: [SLE] SUSE 10.1 -- quite impressive -- thanks to SuSE team
  • From: Brad Dameron <brad@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 10:58:52 -0700
On Tue, 2006-05-23 at 11:36 +0530, Chaitanya Chalasani wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I received my SuSE 10.1 Box yesterday through DHL. Removed the previous SuSE
> 10.0 installation ( after data backup ) and installed 10.1 with XFS this
> time. The installation went very smoothly and significantly faster than 10.0.
> The bugs in 10.0 that annoyed me are all gone now. Kde 3.5 is very
> responsive. I tried XGL but not so quick on my Intel 910GL graphics chipset.
> The new NetworkManager was buggy and so I moved to the traditional ifup.
> Thanks for SuSE team for giving this option in configurations. XEN worked
> pretty neatly also though I don't use it. I downloaded libdvdcss and
> w32codecs and the xine now plays encrypted DVD's and mp3. I choose xine
> engine for amarok and it plays mp3 beautiful. I could read my iPod using
> ipod:/ kio_slave but amarok doesn't play directly from iPod, instead i have
> to copy them to local folder and run them. I haven't yet checked the rest,
> but so far damn impressive.
>
> ----
> Chaitanya Chalasani.

I would not recommend XFS for a non-server environment. The performance
is only noticable in XFS with very large files. There is a slight chance
of data loss with XFS if you were to lose power or have a lockup. Reiser
would be the best for use at home and even on servers. We use it on our
production servers. Which are 4-way dual core systems with 64GB ram and
have a load of around 6 to 12 at all times of the day. Shows how much
usage our software does of these machines.

Brad Dameron
SeaTab Software
www.seatab.com