Re: [SLE] SUSE 10.1 -- quite impressive -- thanks to SuSE team
  • From: "Witold Wolski" <wewolski@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 20:33:57 +0100
Hi,

I spend the last 2 weeks installing various linux distros on a new latitude
X1. And I think I will go with the Suse 10.1 for a while. It is is a good
distro for someone how does not wants to be bothered with linux
administration interna. And I do not want to. It recognises most of the
hardware. Yast is a user friendly tool (although surprisingly still buggy
tool). At least you have all the tools for configuring and installing in one
place. I am also quite happy with the support for the KDE desktop given by
suse.

The only thing that really s... is that the support for multimedia is poor.
Non of the installed multimedia players is playing avi files for examples. I
can not find an officially supported mPlayer rpm etc...

Of course there are plenty of other things that should be improved and are
buggy. The bottom line is, I am very surprised how easy it is to set up
linux on you laptop, how cool it runs without much effort and how fast you
can get help on this mailing list.

Thanks to suse and this mailing list.

cheers
Eryk