Re: [SLE] RANT: Advantages of Dual Core
  • From: "Orn E. Hansen" <orn_hansen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 22:39:26 +0200
Laugardaginn 27 maí 2006 11:58 skrifaði Per Jessen:
> If it is truly redundant, which other function is doing the same thing?
> If you think the function is superfluous, just remove it.

I know I can remove it, it's not the point. The point is, whenever I
update the system, they're just gonna return.

> But, as we are talking about SUSE Linux, I don't believe there is a
> tickbox during installation that clearly says "For server use" or "For
> desktop use" - so SUSE should try to cover most requirements.

The latest "ideology" is to have A) Server, known as Enterprise Linux, B)
Desktop environment, and C) Development environment.

On platform A, yes some of these functions may be non-reduntant. On B,
they're useless. People will shutoff their machines when not using them, a
few will have them up, to avoid going through long "startup" procedures.
Which is another reason for "dump state to disk" shutdown. C) A "maybe".

The batch processing is an old reduntant feature, and I feel they should be
put into a YaST module, where the packages "suggest" cron jobs, and a user
selects which he thinks would benefit him. Of course, that's my opinion on
the matter.

> There isn't much to figure. Some of those daily runs are obviously
> quite resource-intensive, so scheduling them for night-time is an
> attempt to avoid inconveniencing the user. If they always kick in when
> you're working, why not just reschedule them for a different time?

I may be working all hours of the day. I'm an enthusiast, I don't keep
scheduled hours for when I work or when I play. I do it, when I got the
time.

> To the advantages of dual-core - provided your workload is concurrent, a
> dual-core CPU will allow you to get _almost_ twice as much work done.
> But with less power, less heat and in less space. And less overall
> cost.

I've definately noticed... and amen to that.

// Orn

< Previous Next >