Re: [SLE] 9.2 USB hard drive enclosure recommendations
  • From: "Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC)" <hylton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 07:58:15 +0200
Basil Chupin wrote:
Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) wrote:

<snip>

To clear up any confusion, are all the HD enclosures Linux compatible ie have a look at Lacie or did I read the site wrong ie it would seem only a d2 160Gb is compatible?

Basically you are saying that all the HD enclosure is is a nice steel box for a HD and they require no additional software, other than what is already in the Linux OS?

Yes.

Enclosures are mostly aluminium but there are steel ones around as well. Aluminium dissipates heat quicker than steel and are lighter but steel ones suppress noise better (but this last feature really applies to cases for computers and not for these small enclosures).
Sorry, I meant to say aluminum but steel alsp gives the same basic idea
ie a metallic enclosure. ;)

The OSs have the necessary drivers installed to be able to recognise the USB (and/or Flywire) external drives so it is simply a matter of plugging the device into a USB port. (The exceptions to this would be SuSE v10.0 which has (?had) a problem in recognising USB devices, and Windows prior to XP and (?)2000 - you need to install driver(s) in 98/Me.

The other software you possibly may need is if you want to do PROPER backups in Windows where the inbuilt Backup facility has limitations (for example, the Registry backup does not backup the full Registry). Something like Acronis True Image I am told is the way to go for Windows.
I concur about the Acronis product and have had good results when I used
the partitioning tool PartitionExpert.

But you do not need any additional software if you want to do a backup in, say, SuSE by copying across a directory or 2 two or 3 or 4 or.... I copy my /home directory across to a partition formatted in reiserfs on the USB HD as a backup and also store backups of files on it as well.

Defeinitely the USB HD I am looking at as the Flash disks do not hold enough info ..yet.

4 GB is the biggest I saw last week at the Computer Fair.
At a $ cost :)

The two machines are networked (ie have network cards) into a switch and both use a single keyboard/video and mouse, hence I have a KVM switch to switch between the two machines. The KVM switch is a little problematic and buying a new one is plenty $$$$. Purchasing the USB HD enclosure seems to be a better idea, $$ wise.

<snip>

However, there is a small program (for Linux) which does this job. I have never used it but have its name here somewhere. I'll see if I can find it. But perhaps someone in this forum already has its name handy - anyone?
mmm, that would be interesting especially if I could do away with the
mechanical KVM switch.

<snip>

Just out of interest does the 2nd drive appear under a different mount point if both enclosures are connected to a hub that is connected to the PC?

Now, here we have a potential terminology problem. By "hub" do you mean one of those USB cables which plugs into a USB port on your PC but at the other end of the cable has a 4-port (or more than 4 ports) box which allows 4 USB devices to be plugged in?
I do.

If this is what you mean by a "hub" - a one-to-many - cable then the answer to your question is that you CANNOT plug SAME devices on such a cable/hub because only ONE of them will work. DIFFERENT devices will work OK. For example you can plug in a mouse, mp3 player, HD, and a keyboard at the 4-port end and they will work but if you plugged in 2 mouses then only 1 will work.
I thought that there would be some sort of 'interrupt' problem.

However, if your PCs each have 2 USB ports then you can plug each of your enclosures - like I do - into a separate port and both will be recognised as a separate unit, be assigned an individual ID (eg, sda5 and sda6 or in Windows drive "O" and drive "P" or whatever) and they simply become just another device on your PC.

Another way to tackle this is to get a USB card which you plug into a PCI slot; these normally can have upto 6 ports (?or more - there is a finite number of USB ports you can have on a PC).
My PC does have 2 USB ports so I'll just have to run another extension
cable from the back of the machine to the front, no problem.

<snip>

I thought that you may be and I was looking for a smiley (:-)). Pays to put one in sometimes :-).
Sorry :[

<snip>

Thanks Basil et al.
PS: Basil, I am subbed to the list so you dont have to Cc my 'Reply-To'
address

< Previous Next >