Re: [SLE] RANT: Advantages of Dual Core
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 14:12:55 +0200
Orn E. Hansen wrote:

> Laugardaginn 27 maí 2006 11:58 skrifaði Per Jessen:
>> If it is truly redundant, which other function is doing the same
>> thing? If you think the function is superfluous, just remove it.
>>

> I know I can remove it, it's not the point. The point is, whenever
> I update the system, they're just gonna return.

OK, perhaps. My point is - you're in control. No-one is telling you
what to do. But if you accept SUSEs defaults, yes, you'll get
something you don't want. I generally use the SUSE default ('coz I
haven't built my own installation-profiles just yet), and I always get
stuff I don't want/need. Samba for instance.

>> But, as we are talking about SUSE Linux, I don't believe there is a
>> tickbox during installation that clearly says "For server use" or
>> "For desktop use" - so SUSE should try to cover most requirements.
>>
> The latest "ideology" is to have A) Server, known as Enterprise
> Linux, B) Desktop environment, and C) Development environment.

If you're after a Linux specifically for the desktop, maybe NLD is the
right option instead of plain SUSE Linux.

> and I feel they should be put into a YaST module, where the packages
> "suggest" cron jobs, and a user selects which he thinks would benefit
> him. Of course, that's my opinion on the matter.

With SUSE Linux it's a matter of a default that is fairly appropriate
for the most people. What's best - that you need to deselect something
or that others need to select it?

/Per Jessen, Zürich