Re: [SLE] RANT: Advantages of Dual Core
  • From: "Orn E. Hansen" <orn_hansen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 18:05:11 +0200
Sunnudaginn 28 maí 2006 13:52 skrifaði Per Jessen:
> I understand your ranting, I do so myself occasionally, but some of what
> you complain about is easily taken care by configuring your system as
> you want it. The YaST installer cannot guess your usage pattern, nor
> what you intend to use the machine for, so SUSE has probably chosen
> what they consider a reasonable compromise.

Most of the time I avoid doing too much to my system, there are a few
reasons why.

1. To me, an OS should be a stable core on which I build something else.
I've always find Linux somewhat a Rock and a Hard place, because the updates
to the core are far too often. They break something too often, which is
always blamed on everyone else, not holding some standard nobody heard of,
until after the fact (Yeah, I know I'm exagerating a bit).

2. A desktop system, should be setup for users who use it for other purposes
than tweaking the OS for optimal personal use.

Linux isn't Unix, and it isn't a batch OS ... batch operating isn't cool
stuff, and it isn't a measurement of your greatness like some guys think
about "knowing all the cool command line options", it isn't being a geek. A
computer is a tool, you don't get yourself a toolbox ... just to have a
toolbox, you get it to eventually use it create something else. Some of that
stuff need to be done, but when doing it "now" means someone has to take a
lunch break from their work, that's an "oobs" to me. I remember the good old
PS/2 systems, with IBM's OS/2. They proclaimed it could do two things at the
same time. I once tried to format a floppy, and do something else at the
same time ... wanna guess how long it took to format the floppy? Try guessing
an hour. That wasn't impressive, even in those days.

On a desktop computer, there are a few things that don't need prioritation,
and there are those that do. A computer doesn't have to react to the user,
more quickly than the user does in human terms. But a computer, where a user
has to wait for the interface ... and on a system, that has time and time
again, stated it's "faster than windows", "better than windows", "fancier
than windows" ... makes it neither funny, nor impressive. It's not a
reasonable thing, to demand that some user "tweaks" his system, to get rid of
the slowness ... it's reasonable to say that the users who know what they're
doing, change the system, to make it slow to obtain some other purpose. The
default should be user friendly, not geek friendly.

> /Per Jessen, Zürich

< Previous Next >