Re: [SLE] RANT: Advantages of Dual Core
  • From: Alvaro Kuolas <kuolas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 14:50:19 -0300
Orn E. Hansen wrote:
Sunnudaginn 28 maí 2006 13:52 skrifaði Per Jessen:
I understand your ranting, I do so myself occasionally, but some of what
you complain about is easily taken care by configuring your system as
you want it. The YaST installer cannot guess your usage pattern, nor
what you intend to use the machine for, so SUSE has probably chosen
what they consider a reasonable compromise.

Most of the time I avoid doing too much to my system, there are a few reasons why.

1. To me, an OS should be a stable core on which I build something else. I've always find Linux somewhat a Rock and a Hard place, because the updates to the core are far too often. They break something too often, which is always blamed on everyone else, not holding some standard nobody heard of, until after the fact (Yeah, I know I'm exagerating a bit).
That's Microsoft model for an OS, clean, bold and useless without more money on extra software. Linux it's different, they put all the options and you need to "fine tune" the systems. "Just for Power Users", this way has too many benefits and only one difficulty: The fine tunning.
2. A desktop system, should be setup for users who use it for other purposes than tweaking the OS for optimal personal use.

Linux isn't Unix, and it isn't a batch OS ... batch operating isn't cool stuff, and it isn't a measurement of your greatness like some guys think about "knowing all the cool command line options", it isn't being a geek. A computer is a tool, you don't get yourself a toolbox ... just to have a toolbox, you get it to eventually use it create something else. Some of that stuff need to be done, but when doing it "now" means someone has to take a lunch break from their work, that's an "oobs" to me. I remember the good old PS/2 systems, with IBM's OS/2. They proclaimed it could do two things at the same time. I once tried to format a floppy, and do something else at the same time ... wanna guess how long it took to format the floppy? Try guessing an hour. That wasn't impressive, even in those days.

I'm not a toolbox... but I know were is every tool and I know how to use all my tools. Using Windows as "MyToolbox" it's the same as doing it without a toolbox at all!

I don't think there is a Universal Tool Box that fits all your hand work and, at the same time, it's not biag as your wall, heavy as your car and complex to manage.
Beside there are specialized Linux distributions all over the world, SuSE needs and ask fine tunning for what-do-you-exactly-want-to-do(TM).
On a desktop computer, there are a few things that don't need prioritation, and there are those that do. A computer doesn't have to react to the user, more quickly than the user does in human terms. But a computer, where a user has to wait for the interface ... and on a system, that has time and time again, stated it's "faster than windows", "better than windows", "fancier than windows" ... makes it neither funny, nor impressive. It's not a reasonable thing, to demand that some user "tweaks" his system, to get rid of the slowness ... it's reasonable to say that the users who know what they're doing, change the system, to make it slow to obtain some other purpose. The default should be user friendly, not geek friendly.

/Per Jessen, Zürich

< Previous Next >