Re: [SLE] Brute Force fix for Yast Updater and Zen for Newbies like myself
  • From: Carl Hartung <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 15:10:12 -0400
On Sunday 28 May 2006 12:59, L. Mark Stone wrote:
> Funny how the .1 SuSE releases (at least since I've been using SuSE)
> frequently seem to have big "gotchas". 8.0, 9.0 and 10.0 worked pretty
> much OK for us on most hardware. 8.1 and 9.1 didn't stay long on any
> hardware we used in production. 8.2 and 9.2 were awesome, so I'm hoping
> 10.2 will follow the trend. Meanwhile, SLES9 is just brilliant and
> works great for us.

I thought 8.2 and 9.2 Pro were great, 9.0 OK (not quite up to the standard,
IMHO) and I skipped 9.1 entirely. :-) 9.3 took some effort and patience to
polish to the desired 'fit and finish' and is still installed in parallel on
my system as a backup. Runs great! 10.0 is awesome and now my daily system,
but I'm spending a great deal more time in 10.1.

> I'm having problems now on 10.1 with font changes in Gnome apps not
> sticking between sessions, and NetworkManager and KDEWallet not playing
> nicely together so much so that they freak each other out and won't let
> me do a wireless connection unless I reboot and log in REALLY FAST.
> Based on the logs in the wireless AP, the AP thinks the laptop is
> associated, authenticated and good to go. NetworkManager doesn't think
> so and takes down the connection. Same hardware that worked fine with
> 10.0, so I may just wind up wiping the disk clean to put 10.0 back on
> until 10.2 comes out.

As things stand, I'll probably stick to 10.0 as my 'daily' system until 10.2
is released. Meanwhile, it's good to stay 'tuned in' as the distribution
progresses, so 10.1 will stay installed (in parallel, of course.)

regard,

Carl

< Previous Next >