Re: [SLE] New 10.1 x86_64 install has NO usb connectivity
  • From: Carl Hartung <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 22:39:40 -0400
Hi Patrick,

On Sunday 28 May 2006 19:03, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> After a fatal ten-year-old motherboard problem, I finally replaced my
> box with an athlon dual core x86_64 4200, GAK8N Ultra-SLI, 2 SATA
> drives, a lota memory and a large power supply. I am in heaven!

drool! ;-)

> But, I cannot access any usb device. Note: I had to unplug all usb
> devices during install as a stall would ensue when the pre-install
> finished detecting hardware and was probing for usb devices. With the
> usb devices removed the install was a piece of cake. Reattached the
> usb devices prior to the software update with not problem, but no
> access either.

I'd say the usb controller is not being properly detected... possibly because
the revision is too new that the chip isn't being recognized.

> Point: Kubunto 6.06 live boots fine and has usb access.

If you switch to a console (or open a shell) and 'lsmod | grep usb' you should
be able to determine which modules are being loaded (and presumably are
working.) Hopefully, the same modules are available with 10.1

regards,

Carl