Re: [SLE] Re: Should I sit this one out?
  • From: suse@xxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 23:14:35 -0400
Anders Johansson wrote:
> On Monday 29 May 2006 04:42, Chuck Davis wrote:
>> Lew:
>>
>> I put it on my laptop which runs my ftp server and DB2 express_c which
>> are every day requirements for my development efforts between home and
>> the office. If it tells you anything I will not be putting it on any
>> other machines. The eye candy is a little nicer in some respects but
>> that Novell would ship such a totally broken product is inexcusable.
>
> The update system is a known issue. Is there anything else that's broken?
>
> As a point of reference, I've been running 10.1 both at home and in the office
> since around beta 8 or 9, and so far it's been working well, so calling it
> "totally broken" is just wrong. It's not really all that different from 10.0.
>
> So far the issues I've seen people report are
>
> * update system broken
> * Beagle consuming too many resources
>
> Have I missed anything?

Nope, I think that's pretty much it. 10.1 is great, aside from those
two issues. So just uninstall beagle and install apt, and put small
apt-get script into the daily cron and you're good to go, imho.

(The one other issue, which I believe is related to the updater issue,
is that YaST often has issues adding/removing sources. Apt fixes this
issue, too.)

It's funny, I was never an advocate of apt until SuSE 10.1 came out...

< Previous Next >