Re: [SLE] Re: SuSE 10.1 boxed version ZMD Problems and other questions
  • From: suse@xxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 00:47:41 -0400
George Stoianov wrote:
> On 5/28/06, suse@xxxxxx <suse@xxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> If you look through the list for the past week or so, the answer is YES.
>> ZenWorks is utterly broken. SuSE has put up a "beta" fix for Zen, but
>> most of the people I know just switched to apt instead, since there are
>> now official SuSE rpms for apt. SuSEwatcher is gone. The whole
>> situation has made Novell/SuSE look incompetent. I suspect some Novell
>> exec cooked up the scheme in an attempt to boost the sales of ZenWorks.
>> If so, it has majorly backfired, and ZenWorks looks completely broken,
>> not something I'd be looking to spend $130/seat on.
>
> Wow that is a nice twist :( BTW I said that YOU works well now more
> packages appear to need to be upgraded plus those I already did but
> they already were it seems quite messed up.

Yeah, it shows them, with checkmarks in them, too, as if to trick you
into thinking it'll be updating those packages...

>> With NVIDIA, it's best to run the driver yourself. The driver is closed
>> source, so SuSE can't really support it.
>
> Yes, I know this is how it has always been but there was a package I
> only applied it and it did the rest. Now I have found this:
> http://www.suse.de/~sndirsch/nvidia-installer-HOWTO.html is this what
> I have to do to get it to work??

Well, yeah... but what's so hard about that? You download the driver
from nvidia, run the driver, then run SaX to set up X. Then anytime you
update you kernel, you run the driver. You don't need to deal with SaX
after each kernel update, just run the installer from nvidia.

>> > Has anyone tried Xgl? I tried to read the docs
>> > http://en.opensuse.org/Using_Xgl_on_SUSE_Linux but I get "bash:
>> > gnome-xgl-settings: command not found" when I run gnome-xgl-settings
>> > searching in YaST leads to no result and my Control Centre in GNOME is
>> > missing the mentioned Desktop Effects.... I have installed the boxed
>> > version. Does anyone know what the 6-th CD is for I hope the CDs now
>> > equal the DVD.
>>
>> http://www.thejemreport.com/mambo/content/view/254/42/
>>
>> I was able to get XGL running perfectly, except for one thing: If I
>> saved the desktop settings, Gnome would refuse to load from then on.
>> This was kinda a deal breaker. Besides, I prefer KDE, and I couldn't
>> get it to work with KDE at all.
>
> Well that is good to know. I saw on the link I posted that for NVIDIA
> only GNOME would work and ATI with KDE.

I don't think that's the case. I should clarify: I XGL would run under
KDE, but there were major incompatibilities, like desktop switching was
run through gnome. The problems I had, to be honest, seem to stem from
compiz, not XGL. (For those reading this who may not know, compiz is
the special window manager written to run all the XGL eye candy) From
what I've heard, if you have an ATI card, getting XGL to work at all is
hit or miss, due to driver issues.

> The situation with the package manager is frustrating if I am going to
> be using apt....why am I using SuSE, I like YaST way better.... Can I
> get Debian packages now that I can use apt ??

No, with apt on SuSE, you're using the same repositories as you would
through YaST, just accessing them in a different way. It's still rpm,
not deb based.

> Any hints on getting wireless and wired configured at the same time on
> 10 I always had one or the other now I can only have wireless and that
> is without the network manager.

Change it to switch to the old ifup/ifdown method, rather than network
manager. As far as I can tell, Network Manager isn't smart enough to
Manage more than one Network at a time.