Re: [SLE] ipv6? -- IPv6 is actually a dream (and there's common FUD)
  • From: Darryl Gregorash <raven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 23:45:17 -0600
On 26/05/06 20:25, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
>Michael James wrote:
>
>>IPv6 HAS caused me a number of real problems
>>

>I haven't run into any. The only one that bites most people in the rear
>is the UNIX attitude that you have name resolution -- no different than
>IPv4.

Install 9.0, do not install any updates; leave ipv6 enables, but do not
do anything with it beyond allowing the LINKLOCAL ip to be assigned on
the external interface. Then ftp (lukemftp package) to a known site that
has a public ipv6 address (such as ftp.mozilla.org). Watch ftp wait
forever for a response, because it is in a perennial loop, trying to
send a SYN packet to an ipv6 address, originating from a LINKLOCAL ip.

Oh, the version of mozilla included in the non-updated 9.0 distribution
also has the same defect.

I do not know the situation with 9.3, because as soon as I installed it,
I disabled ipv6 globally. I do know that both mozilla and the lukemftp
ftp client will timeout now (they did, after all, report the bugs as
resolved), but I have no idea what the timeout is -- nor do I wish to
find out. Unless and until I have an external public ipv6 ip, ipv6 is
disabled on my system.

>Now if you want to route between multiple IPv6 networks, you need a 2nd
>IPv6 address than the default LINK LOCAL address. BTW, SITE LOCAL is
>now deprecated because it required registration.
Quite so, and if you do not have it, then you are SOL until you disable
ipv6 -- globally.

I still haven't found out how to enable ipv6 on the internal interface,
but disable it on the external. I do not think it can be done in SuSE as
it stands now, either with Yast or manually (unless one wishes to
undertake a massive rewrite of the network/firewall/dhcp configuration
scripts, that is).