Re: [SLE] RANT: Advantages of Dual Core
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 09:34:43 +0200
Anders Johansson wrote:

> On Sunday 28 May 2006 14:15, Per Jessen wrote:
>> As an aside - batch still exists - batch is everything that is not
>> realtime or interactive/on-line. An interactive/on-line transaction
>> is
>> something with a less than 3sec response time. Compiling the Linux
>> kernel is batch.
>
> That's a redefinition of the term, it wasn't what "batch" was meant to
> mean. I know that modern mainframe programmers refer to "batch jobs"
> meaning as opposed to "online programs",

Also not-so-modern mainframe people will talk about batchjobs - that's
the way it's always been, right back to the punchcard days. Maybe it's
a redefinition, I don't know. Back in my own IBM system programming
days (late 1980s), we'd run up towards 10'000 batchjobs a night.

> In the sense that a makefile is similar (very loosely) to an IBM JCL
> card, then yes, compiling anything is "batch".

Yep.

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich

< Previous Next >