Re: [SLE] IA-64
  • From: "Bryan J. Smith" <b.j.smith@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 10:46:26 -0400
On Sun, 2006-05-28 at 11:16 -0400, Carl Hartung wrote:
> I thought 'IA64' designated a server family (with many possible mainboard +
> cpu combinations) not a "processor." Are you saying you've got SLES 9 running
> on Itanium processors 'out of the box'?

The IA-64 systems are _proprietary_ -- so there are only a few IA-64
systems that are supported, because so few exist.

IA-64 is _not_ an open architecture. Alpha, MIPS, SPARC (which is an
IEEE standard), etc... are open architectures.

--
Bryan J. Smith Professional, technical annoyance
mailto:b.j.smith@xxxxxxxx http://thebs413.blogspot.com