RE: [SLE] Re: Should I sit this one out?
  • From: "Greg Wallace" <gregwallace@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 11:36:17 -0500
On Monday, May 29, 2006 @ 5:18 AM, Micahel Norman wrote:

>> As a point of reference, I've been running 10.1 both at home and in the
>> office since around beta 8 or 9, and so far it's been working well, so
>> calling it "totally broken" is just wrong. It's not really all that
>> different from 10.0.
>>
>> So far the issues I've seen people report are
>>
>> * update system broken
>> * Beagle consuming too many resources
>>
>> Have I missed anything?

>I think the point is that it should not have shipped with the broken
>package
>manager.

Absolutely! It's one thing to have glitches in optional software, but to
have these sorts of problems with what is part of the basic system itself is
really inexcusable. Hard to imagine how this could have gotten by the
testing process. If anything should be tested to the nth degree it is
anything that has to do with basic system functionality.

> I've bought and used every SUSE since 6.0 but if I'd bought 10.1 >as
>a commercial offering i'd be returning it and asking for my money back

>I'm beginning to agree with those who are concerned as to where Novell is
>going with SUSE.

>And yes I have installed and run 10.1, but I don't want the eye candy and I

>hate the package manager, so what is the point.

>I'm keeping 10.0 , and thinking of looking elsewhere in the future.

>Mike

Greg Wallace