Re: [SLE] Re: Should I sit this one out?
  • From: Michael Nelson <michaelnel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 11:44:04 -0700
On Mon, May 29, 2006 at 02:26:38PM -0400, Bruce Marshall wrote:

> Do you do an update from one SuSE release to another?

Sometimes I upgrade, sometimes I wipe and do a clean install. My 10.0
was a wipe & clean, 10.1 was an upgrade from 10.0. I try to w&c about
once a year.

> Do you normally keep your /home between releases? (probably)

Yes, I do. I put it on a separate partition just so I can.

> When you installed RH, did you use the same /home? (prolly not)

When I installed RH, I installed it on a totally different old machine
that I keep around for test purposes, so no, not the same /home.

> You might be viewing a long-increasing list of things that your /home has in
> its settings, etc... that make things slow.

Yes, that's certainly something I have considered and investigated. But
I have created new, virgin test users and they have the same problem as
my own user does, so I don't believe it's a problem with my user's
environment.

> And you might want to go through the run-level settings to see what is getting
> started.

Been there, done that regularly. That's not the problem either.

> I've been using SuSE as long as you have but I always do a fresh install and
> haven't noticed any major change in system speed.

Thanks, that's an excellent data point.

Michael

--

San Francisco, CA